Saturday, September 7, 2013

(51620) Massive SHORT Circuit!

While driving back from a Malibu beach at dusk, I heard a strange noise coming from behind the dashboard.  CLICK...buzzz...CLICK...buzzz...CLICK.  Over and over again.  I then also noticed that my lights went out and later discovered that the brake lights were gone too.  After many, many warnings from fellow motorists about my lightless condition at sunset, I finally reached home.  While the engine was idling properly, the rest of the electrical system was out.  Having no interest at the time, I left it for later.

Thankfully, my Service Manual has a rather thorough circuit diagram to help the service man repair the electrical system, and it looks something like this:
However, I thought that the diagram was rather hard to read, so I improved it.
If you note the red line leaving the STARTER RELAY, it leads to the ammeter, which then distributes the power to the rest of the system.  After removing that line, the short circuit was gone.  I am assuming that the short is hiding under the dashboard.  *SIGH*  After some careful photography and shoving my huge head into the space, I might be forced to disassemble the dashboard.  I hate disassembling the dashboard.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing those diagrams! Good future reference

    ReplyDelete